Activity Name: On Top of the Spaghetti
Age group: 3 to 5 years old
Number of children: 10
Length of Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Area of Development: Language & Cognitive skills
Goal of the Activity: Reinforcing vocabulary and promoting manners
Objective of the activity: The children will be able to retell the story and sing the rhyme confidently.
Materials required: “On Top of the Spaghetti” homemade interactive book, video of the nursery rhyme
Introduction: Tell the children about the “On Top of the Spaghetti” short story.
My role: In this activity, I will tell a story to the children and show to them the interactive book and ask open-ended question.
Detailed Progression of the Activity:
1. Let the children sit on a semi-circle and give a hint of today’s topic.
2. Ask the children if they like Spaghetti and I ask them what the spaghetti taste like.
3. Ask the children if they sneeze in front of the food.
4. Let each child retell the story (1 minute each)
Transition: On Top of the Spaghetti song, Aka Backa Soda Cracker
1. Dramatic play: scene – eating spaghetti & something happen like in the story
2. Matching game
3. Memory game
5. Tracing activity